proclaim the grace of God

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Multiple Choice Prayers

As I was praying this morning I found myself having to make a quick adjustment. My wife and I have a couple of major prayer requests right now and I found myself praying for Option A or Option B. Do you see where I am going with this? God might grant Option A to my wife and I or He may not. Same goes for Option B. But is that it? If I only pray for Option A or Option B we really limit God and neatly package Him in a box. What about Option C or Option D? What about none of the above?

One of our major prayer requests is purchasing our first home. As we make this decision we have been targeting different parts of the greater metropolitan Houston area and my prayer was "God, do you want us in the ABC part or the XYZ part?" (I'll leave the locations anonymous for now because that isn't crucial for this blog, plus you might go make a higher offer on the house we are hoping for!) My point is God may want my wife and I to stay put in our apartment or he may have somewhere for us outside of Houston or outside of Texas or outside of the United States. It may not be either the ABC part or the XYZ part. I want to gladly accept that if that is the case.

My new prayer became "God, do you want us in the ABC part or the XYZ part or somewhere completely different than we are praying or maybe we need to stay put?" We should always echo Christ's prayer before he was crucified on the cross. "Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done." (Luke 22:42)

Let us pray in this manner. Not our will, but may God's will be done in ALL our decisions and prayers.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • Wow,
    I'm really feeling the weight of the truth that you express here. God is so much bigger than the way I portray Him in my prayers.

    Thanks for the challenge,

    Travis

    By Blogger Travis Cardwell, At 1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home