proclaim the grace of God

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Church Dress

There are bigger issues that plague the church, but I feel compelled to do a small blog on church dress. It seems that people who get real dressed up tend to look down on people that dress more casually. Sometimes the folks that dress casually write off the folks that dress up as old school. Whether your promote formal dress or casual dress, everyone needs to examine their heart and move away from the external, outer shell that really doesn't matter.

In one of my classes at school the issue of church dress was discussed and I was shocked to hear how many people adamently defend dressing up in a formal fashion for church. We talked about the importance of dressing up for church. The reasons to dress up included: respect for God, setting the example for the culture, reverance, and honor to name a few. After spending some time on this the clarifying statement was made that "at the end of the day this stuff doesn't matter" because the real issue in the heart of a person. I completely agree with that last statement, but I wondered why we spent over an hour on "stuff that doesn't matter" to briefly say that dress is a heart issue. Students voiced their frustrations to people dressing down at church and it seemed as if the resounding theme was "Let us, as church leaders, dress appropriately aka a nice suit."

I am under the belief that wearing a suit or more formal clothes is not anymore respectful or honoring to God. The Bible is clear that God is concerned on the dealings of our hearts rather then our outside appearance. "For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart." -1 Samuel 16:7 Peter's advice to women is a call not to worry about the outside appearance. "Do not let your adorning be external--the braiding of hair, the wearing of gold, or the putting on of clothing but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious."-1 Peter 3:3-4

We have much bigger issues at stake then the clothes people wear. I think we become very Pharisaic when we equate spirituality to nice clothes and a clean outer appearance. Many people that are dressed up nicely look the part, but their lives could be very messy and full of sin. Jesus was not concerned with the outer appearance. In fact, it seems that those who are poor have more blessings than those who are rich. It really bothers me when Christians look down on those who dress casual.

I also want to include that the whole concept of church is not the hour you meet on Sunday mornings. Church takes place when believers gather together. I can have church with other Christians when they come over on Tuesday night and we eat and fellowship together. Why do we not dress up for these occasions?

I am Billy when I wear jeans and a knit shirt. It's not tacky or sloppy. It is me. When I throw on real nice clothes I feel like I need to go to my job at the bank or a fancy dinner. If I am to be genuine and myself, then I feel that casual clothes is a better "outer appearance" for me.

Here is a quote from a friend, Ross King, who expresses his freedom in Christ on church dress:

"I’M DONE dressing up for church. Same idea as the Sunday School thing. It’s my experience that when people dress up, they usually act like someone other than themselves. Business meetings, funerals, prom; who is ever completely themselves at such gatherings? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying we should try to prove some point by rebelling against nice clothes. I don’t dress like a slob when I go to church, because I don’t dress like a slob any other time that I’m in public. I dress like myself. I’m a pastor, so I try to look decent in case anybody expects that from a pastor. I don’t want it to be an issue for someone, but I won’t be a slave to unknown expectations, either. (That last sentence will be important throughout this entire dialogue.) It’s a balance. The point is that I think it’s time for us to find a healthy tension between being ourselves and being respectful of the traditions of others. And for me, the former gets more weight than the latter. As for you, if you like to dress up, and you think it’s a form of worship for you, go for it. For me, dressing up at church makes me feel false. And I’ve done way too much “false” at church. I’m done."

Let us re-examine the things that we tend to emphasize and deal with real issues.

Blessings to all!





8 Comments:

  • Well said Billy...I'm linking this up to my blog as we speak. I know you are aiming at a genuine spirit in the local church and that is commendable! Keep those blogs comin (g)!

    TBC

    By Blogger Travis Cardwell, At 11:27 AM  

  • I agree with most of what you said here. In the end, God does indeed care about the state of your heart.

    Call me preppy or old school, though. I get annoyed by the tacky dressers and there are zillions of studies that show the external is usually a reflections of the internal.

    But I refuse to look down on you or anyone who doesn't "dress up" for church on Sunday, save for the fact that I'm taller. ;)

    By Blogger Jason M. Kates, At 9:37 PM  

  • Thanks for your comments Billy. I agree with what you say. It is a matter of the heart. I hope that we strive to be BIBLICAL in our churches. I am convinced that people should act (on this issue and others) in the measure of faith given to them and should do that in light of Scripture. May we all be more concerned with the body of Christ and not the building we meet in or the clothes we wear!--Dirk

    By Blogger thelittlefields, At 9:44 PM  

  • Kates,

    We need to be very careful when we use "zillions of studies" as our defense in such matters.

    The Bible and the leading of the Spirit are to be our guide as we seek to follow God.

    When we rely on studies we begin a slippery slope that could be dangerous.

    Thanks for your comments and thoughts.

    Billy

    By Blogger billy newhouse, At 11:07 PM  

  • I think you misunderstood my point on the studies issue. All I was saying (and not attempting to apply to you specifically) is that whether we like it or not, the external is a pretty accurate reflection of the internal. There really isn’t a slippery slope to fall down there, it’s just how it is – eso si que es. When I feel lazy and am not motivated to go to work, I hit the snooze, skip the shave, and throw on whatever's closest. When I feel good about going to work, I wake up on time, shave, and select a sharp looking outfit for the day. At least, that's what commonly happens. There are certainly days where that doesn't apply.

    I guess my main point, if I had to make one, is that I see more of a problem in today's churches with the people who "dress down" considering that their little badge of honor. Again, I'm not pointing the finger at you specifically, but so much of the younger generation seems to buy into the idea that more of the Kingdom will be brought in by simply dressing everyone down. I consider that retarded logic. Anyway, in the churches I have attended in the past 5 years, the problem is almost the exact opposite of what you address - more often than not, those who dress down are the ones looking down on the nicely attired.

    I would say that neither end of the wardrobe spectrum is necessarily better than the other, and, further, I would argue that the problem lies in stressing one way over the other. Don't stress dressing up, don't stress dressing down.

    Some questions to think about....If you were meeting the President in the White House tomorrow, what would you wear? If you were going to a business banquet at a nice hotel, what would you wear? Etc.

    It's safe to say, even without getting into specific articles of clothing, you'd wear your best. If jeans and a t-shirt is one's best, so be it. If your best is better, then my grammatically incorrect question would then be, “what are you saving it for?”

    (Different point, but I agree that church isn't just on Sundays. However, I do remember that we’re called to set aside the Sabbath, remember it, and make it holy. That's probably why I would think it'd be honorable to wear one's "best" on Sunday, because you can wear whatever you want the rest of the week.)

    Interesting, if not vital, issue anyway.

    TEAM CRUSH for life…

    By Blogger Jason M. Kates, At 7:00 PM  

  • Billy, thanks for the post. I wonder what kind of perspective we all might have if we consider why we wear clothing. Sin. What did God clothe Adam and Eve with in the garden? They were in the presence of the Lord wearing animal skins. What is it that causes us to judge others according to their attire. Sin again. Whatever we are wearing, it seems trifle and a device of the enemy to argue about our clothing. I understand that there are possible implications concerning someones dress. But in the end postulation and presumption do not truthfully show one's character. Knowing a person reveals their character. Perhaps we could use our minds for more useful thoughts that consider the mind of God and the love of others. Thanks again Billy.

    By Blogger aglen, At 2:05 PM  

  • Wow. I absolutely loved this entry. I'm struggling with the same thing regarding the hearts of the body of believers where i live. You should check out my latest post on my blog.

    God Bless.

    By Blogger Jake Woods, At 3:08 PM  

  • I used to wear t-shirts and jeans to church. But now I wear khaki's or slacks with a button down shirt and a real tie other times I'll wear a nice Western shirt with a bolo and slacks.

    Several years ago I did the Expierencing God workbook by Henry Blackaby to help me develop a much deeper relationship with God. One Sunday while sitting in church I felt a strong presence that God was telling me I shouldn't wear t-shirts and jeans to church anymore. I started looking at ties and found some awesome witness ties at Walmart and for awhile I was buying a new one every Sunday after church and got many compliments every week and people were always curious about what new tie I'd be wearing every week. Than I bought some dress shirts, and pants.

    Sometimes on my way home from church I stop and do an errand or two, or put gas in my car. What I came to realize through this is that when I stop somewhere on my way home wearing dress slacks with a button down shirt and tie on a Sunday it's a witness to people that I went to church and hopefully they than feel the need to go. Also dressing nice like this is a witness to drop-in's while at church that you're not just a Sunday Christian but someone who values their relationship with Jesus and attends church regularly.

    I attend a conservative non-denominational church and most people wear jeans or maybe something more toward very casual business wear. Most of our elders wear jeans with a casual button up shirt or something similar. There are still a few of us guys that wear ties and dress shirts and pants.

    To summarize, I dress nicely with a tie and dress shirt and slacks because it tells other people that I went to church and hopefully they feel the need to find a church also. (On Sunday afternoon see how many people you can pick out in a store or other place away from a church that are dressed nicely.)

    Any other time you'll see me in jeans, shorts, love my muscle tshirts that I wear most of the time. I'm a very casual guy that loves getting dirty and mountain biking. can fix most gas powered equipment like chainsaws, lawnmowers etc. I'm a 33 year old guy born and raised in a rural part of Western Washington State.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home