proclaim the grace of God

Saturday, February 10, 2007

The Gospel Blimp


The Gospel Blimp and other Modern Parables by Joseph Bayly was loaned to me by my good friend Travis Cardwell and it was a treat to read.
The Gospel Blimp shows the journey of some well-intentioned Christians who devise a plan to reach all of their lost neighbors for Christ. The whole idea of creating a blimp to spread the Good News emerged as a group of friends pondered how they could communicate the gospel to the next door neighbors.
The problems begin quickly as this mass-evangelistic campaign seems to do nothing but annoy all the people in the town. (Maybe some people reading this can relate!) The Gospel Blimp is accompanied with a PA system and "firebombs", which are gospel tracts that are dropped all over the town. The Christians on Gospel Blimp Committee become consumed with the means of the Gospel message and in turn do more damage than good. I'll stop summarizing there because I don't want to ruin this for any potential readers.
Anyhow, this parable is stark reminder of how important it is for us to engage in personal evangelism. I have been a part of ministries that have labored to distribute hundreds of gospel tracts and while God does use some of these labors, it would be a grave mistake for us to ignore those God has placed at our places of work and in our neighborhoods. We need to open our eyes to the folks God has placed in our lives and be faithful to the Gospel message. We need to love these people and be conduits of grace and truth.
Go buy The Gospel Blimp and other Modern Parables and let it beat you up for awhile. It will convict and encourage you.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Billy--It's a joy to see you blogging again!

    Great job on the book review! I'm thankful for your desire to approach evangelism one heart at a time. That takes time and effort, but it is the was Jesus did it.

    It's always encouraging to read your thoughts--keep them coming!

    By Blogger Travis Cardwell, At 2:53 PM  

  • I meant to tell you this at work, but I have been praying for your personal evangelism during your carpooling to and from work.

    I know we haven't discussed it, but I think you'd agree that's a great mission field that you've been placed in recently. It's also a tough one!

    Anyhow, truthfully, I need to start writing again to help maintain my sanity. And since you've linked me and I haven't updated in 5 years....

    By Blogger Jason M. Kates, At 7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home